Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Pope of Crazytown

“A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes.” – Mahatma Gandhi

I really didn't want to talk about Glenn Beck again, but I'm feeling kinda prescient right about now. Recently, in a post about Beck, I included a Gandhi-themed video. Now Glenn Beck is comparing himself to Gandhi. You may have thought I had been trying to be satirical. Well, you were wrong. What else can I say, but: Nailed it!

I have to admit, I was wrong about the guy. I thought that Beck was merely a foolish blowhard who engaged in a bizarre form of pseudo-political performance art in order to keep his audience deceived and, as David Frum writes, angry, because "if they are less angry, they listen to the radio less, and hear fewer ads for Sleepnumber beds." I thought Beck suffered from some kind of Wingnut Tourette’s syndrome that caused him to spout nonsensical schizophasia like “social justice is a code word for Nazism.

I was wrong.

I now realize that Glenn Beck is the greatest spiritual leader of our time. He is a modern day Gandhi. More than this. He is also a crusader for civil rights. For as he lets us know in the very same sentence, he is not only like Gandhi, he is just like Rosa Parks. As I listened to the clip, I kept expecting him to break out with the chorus from the Ballad of John and Yoko: “Christ, you know it ain’t easy. You know how hard it can be. The way things are going, they’re going to crucify me.”

I believe we have yet to discover the true greatness of this spiritual crusader. Think about it. What do you get when you put Gandhi and Rosa Parks together? Would it be too much to claim that Glenn Beck is the next Martin Luther King, Jr.? He’s already done it.

No comments: